Triond Articles

Sep 5, 2011

Repousse: Art Work on Metal



Last Saturday, I went on a plant visit to a couple of suppliers that provide raw materials for our company.  Our group was first ushered to the conference room while we were waiting for the technical manager who would present the company profile and products.  The room was actually newly constructed and quite bare except for the long conference table and chairs.....and a nice artwork on the wall.  I was staring at the metal artwork for quite a long time, taking in the details.  I was also looking for the artist's signature but I couldn't find one. 


So there I was, just marveling at this piece.  I don't know how long it took the artist to finish it but I do know that it took hard work doing this repousse art.  I didn't even know that term until I researched it a while ago.  I only thought it's called metal embossing.  The principle basically is the same, that is, the artist makes indentations on the metal sheet.  But while metal embossing uses very soft metal sheet and you can actually make indentations at very light pressure using a stylus, in repousse, you will need a mallet, pitch bowl or board and different sizes of punches.  Those are probably what the artist used in the above picture.  

What can I say?  I did not only learn technical aspects about raw materials manufacturing done by our suppliers, but I learned about this ancient art form as as well.  It has been done since man started working on metals, I think.  For more details on this art form, just click on the two links in the second paragraph.  Who knows...you just might have the talent for repousse.  As for me, I'll stick with pencil and paper.

4 comments:

hahaha.. true that. I might try this art form someday when I have time.

I am extremely impressed along with your writing abilities, Thanks for this great share.

Hi, Really great effort. Everyone must read this article. Thanks for sharing.

Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More