Triond Articles

Aug 11, 2011

On Prayer

I have just been to the company clinic early this morning at half past 6am to have my blood pressure checked. It's been going haywire for three weeks now and I suspect, it has been like that for even longer. It shoots up to as high as 160/100, going down to only as low as 120/80. If I am probably in my 50's, I wouldn't wonder and would probably accept it as age, lifestyle and genes finally catching up on me. But I am still a long way off from that! It's too soon, even if it runs in the family. What I find harder to accept is that I have always thought I am fit.  To be proven wrong by those two numbers is something that can be really frustrating.
Even more frustrating is the fact that my blood chemistry checks out well. There's nothing wrong with it. I asked if there were further tests that could be done but the doctor says I don't feel any other symptoms so he's trying medications, thinking this is essential hypertension, something to do with the genes. I am at a loss at what's happening inside my body.

But you know what? God is good! He just put a different perspective into my circumstance. As I was talking with the nurse who took my blood pressure, our little chat led to the topic on prayer. To make the long story short, she held my hand and prayed for my healing. Tears were falling down my cheeks when she finally finished. I didn't realize I needed that. She is a real blessing.

I have always been fairly good at praying for others. In fact, most of my prayers are for family, friends, sometimes even new acquaintances or strangers I see on the streets. But I don't pray that much for myself, and I rarely ask others to pray for me. I thought, well, God knows the desires of my heart and He surely knows just what I need. I figured I don't have to tell Him what He already knows. But it dawned on me, if I follow that logic, then I should not even be praying for others as well because God knows everything! Sometimes, I could be so dense. I realize that although God knows it all, there is still a need to pray, to affirm that we do want or need something. God does not need our prayers....but we do...and not in a selfish kind of way. It's not selfish to pray for us to be good stewards of what God has given us.

I am confident that in God's time, He will restore my health and provide the healing that I need...I will just keep on praying as I know He is not through with me yet.

6 comments:

prayer is the best weapon Ate! :)

God is always good!

Pray for yourself and everyone else at the same time Brewed. We need a kind and loving individual like yourself to be healthy and happy to pray for us.:)

Amen to that Marie :-)

Thanks Sharif. Anything you'd like to pray for? :-)

Brewed,

I fervently hope the heavens would always bless you with good health and overall stamina. Take care, Brewed.

Very interesting blog. A lot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that attract others, but I'm most definitely interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

Blogging is the new poetry. I find it wonderful and amazing in many ways.

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More